Wednesday 25 July 2012

Should I stay or should I go now?

Having spent the past year wondering whether to go back to live in London or stay in the country, today I finally make my decision, once and for all: I'm going.

Immediately there's a barrage of opposition.

'I think London is one of the loneliest places in the world,' says Lily's saxophone teacher. 'There's such a wonderful community here. Think how many friends you've made already. You just need to get more involved, volunteer at the market once a week...'

As Jemima and I watch Dolly and Cinder romping on the lawn, I remark that Dusty didn't really have any friends in London, whereas Dolly has zillions down here. 'Another reason not to go!' Jemima declares.

The heat is humming, the barley's turned strawberry blonde, everyone's out watering their gardens and inviting the neighbours in for homemade elderflower cordial. Oh it's all so cordial, I feel wretched and mad to leave.

Maybe I should stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment